Isn’t this the State’s problem?
A: Since Proposition 13 in 1978, the responsibility for school funding shifted from the local level to the State level. However, the State has been failing to adequately fund our schools for years and there is no foreseeable reversal of this disastrous course. We must end our dependence on Sacramento’s financial turmoil.
These are the uncomfortable financial truths:
- Since 2006, LVUSD’s budget has been cut by $10 million
- Plus an additional loss of $535,000 in mid-year cuts for the 2011-12 year
- Plus a minimum of $785,000 in 2012-13
- That adds up to over $11,000,000 in cuts to LVUSD in just 6 years
- On top of that, we are facing the potential of an additional $4 million in cuts for 2012-13, if anticipated revenue does not materialize at the State level.
- That is unacceptable!
T.H.E. Foundation was created because we believe the only way to protect the quality of our children’s education is to take back fiscal control of our District. Our goal is raise enough money on a sustainable and consistent basis so that what happens in Sacramento becomes inconsequential to LVUSD’s annual operating budget.